But not sure where to begin?
Here are a few tips and pointers:-
- When you have your idea in place the first thing you must do is research, research and research some more. Check out your competitors and there prices. Even phone them and pretend you’re a mystery shopper. By doing this it gives you an insight as to how the business may run etc.
- One of the first things you will need in this modern day world is a website and some business cards. Depending on your budget, you may want to someone to build a website for you, especially if you want certain functions. Alternatively, do it yourself websites are great for your own control and most have functions like blogging included nowadays. Try Create.net or Mr Site. With business cards you don’t need to have anything to special to start with, just something with your basic contact details and an eye catching logo will do. Vistaprint are perfect for these and they always have special offers on too so look out for these and sign up to their newsletter. You can even have a go at designing your own logo on their website too.
- If you are new to running your own business, you will soon realise that not only will you be trying to promote it but you will also become an accountant, marketer, sales person and more. Try your local Business Link for free courses on various subjects that can help you have a better understanding of what is involved.
- Try a local networking group. Networking is fast becoming a great portal for not only meeting like minded people but promoting your business. Networking Mummies (www.networkingmummies.com) is a great UK business that is split into 3 branches with more being expanded Nationwide.
- Finally, don’t worry if you get it wrong. When starting a business there will always be tweaks and stuff you will change along the way. Don’t worry as this is just a great learning curve and will make your business stronger along the way.
Laura Morris lives in Warwick with her 4 year old daughter. not only running award winning www.rentabuggy.co.uk but also the other half of Networking Mummies with Joanne.