Today is Blue Monday apparently the most depressing day of the year! Now isn’t that a happy thought to start your day! According to a new study of millennials, by Ferratum UK* 27% were planning to borrow money to pay for Christmas 2017. 1 in 3 millennials would borrow money to avoid FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) and 42% of millennials have hidden debt from their partner, friends, or family. Add these financial facts to the wet, cold, dark, miserable weather, the amount of time since Christmas, failing our new year’s resolutions already, feeling unmotivated alongside the desire to take charge of the situation and you have Blue Monday. Devised by a PR company (cheers for that) it has now become an annual event (lucky us) and for 2018 it’s today (Monday 15th January).
Charlie was really ill over the holidays and we were caged in a little. But one day in the limbo between Christmas and New Year we managed to get out for a beach walk. Megan and I always like to collect sea glass and pretty shells to fill up mason jars scattered around the house. It got me thinking about how something so basic can bring us so much joy and excitement.
Clearing up the post Christmas apocalypse I noticed we had a few glass jars, after I cleaned them up and popped a scented candle inside I had a brainwave! I wanted to do something to bring joy to someone, well 5 someones. Man! I am so blessed to have such a super group of small business friends around me who listened to my half baked idea and ran with it. Everything was donated by small businesses or came from my Charlie Moo’s stock cupboard.
Rainbow Jars of Happiness :
What’s inside the Rainbow Jars? :
- Rose Quartz Crystal : From Jo’s Healing Cabin. Rose Quartz is known as the crystal of Love and infinite peace. It opens the heart at all levels and rings deep inner healing and and self-love. It also calms and reassures in times of crisis and trauma. Will attract new love or strengthen existing love.
- Scented Candle and Chocolate
- Glacial Marine Mud : From Tranquility Beauty Treatments. Treat yourself to a mini facial with this glacial marine mud. Glacial Marine mud draws out dirt and impurities leaving the skin feeling fresh, renewed and healthy-looking. Suitable for all skin types.
- Charlie Moo’s Sticker : Which isn’t completely in keeping with the theme but they made the lids much more attractive!
- Affirmation Tag : From Made By Me Craft Parties. Gorgeous handmade “You Are Totally Awesome” tags to make you feel amazing all day long.
- Greetings Card : From Sarah Loves Cards who doesn’t love a bit of pretty stationery.
- A Ball of Clay : From Creative Clay For All. This ball is large enough to create a little tealight holder (perfect to place the scented candle in) it’s air drying too so accessible to anyone. Tactile, creative activities using your hands are known to reduce stress, increase calm and raise our happy endorphins. Megan was dying to get her hands on some clay, she even suggested I just do 4 jars!
- Handmade Fabric Party Bag : I didn’t want to mess up the clay ball trying to squeeze it in the jam jar and alongside the cards I decided to popped it all in a Charlie Moo’s bag. And how fantastic do they look.
- Free Coaching Session : From Vicki Tongeman. To help get over their “blues” this Monday.
Today at Lemur Linkup I’ll be surprising 5 lovely small businesses owners with a Rainbow Jar. I really can’t wait to see their faces. Doing something nice for someone else really boosts your happy endorphins. Instead of letting the fact it’s “Blue Monday” get you down today, do something nice for someone. Anyone. Bake a cake. Send a nice text or email. Phone a friend you haven’t spoke to in a while. Buy someone a coffee. Pay a mum at the school gate a compliment. We shouldn’t be dictated too that today is a bad day. Because it’s not.
* Details of the Ferratum UK study : 1,000 respondents, spread across the United Kingdom, were asked 18 questions relating to their spending and borrowing habits. All the respondents were millennials and were evenly spread between the ages of 18 and 34.
This post complies with my Disclosure Policy.