In case you have had your head under a rock this past year – I have written a book.
Yes a book!
With a cover and pages and everything!!
Crafting a Successful Small Business officially launched on 30th July 2012 through Harriman House. Although they organise the distribution and wrote my initial Press Release etc … I know that this alone isn’t going to sell me a million copies (I have big dreams 😉 ) Now the hard works starts having to market your book to ensure the right people are seeing it.
- Reviews : Send copies (or even the PDF version if they are happy to receive this) to bloggers , magazines and journalists appropriate to the book’s content. People always read books through recommendation.
- Public Speaking & Training : I purchased Emma Wimhurst’s book BOOM after a training course she delivered. There is no reason you can’t too, know your core audience and target market then get in touch with the relevant people. I did a talk and sold copies of my book at CHSI Stitches my core audience of craft businesses. If you have written children’s fiction get in touch with your local libraries and schools. Book on networking contact all your local networking groups.
- Market Your Book Via List Building : Antonia Chitty author of numerous books including the popular The Mumpreneur Guide: Start Your Own Successful Business and definitely a woman in the know says that it “works the same as promoting a business: build a list, big launch, then something every day to promote it”
- Book Signings : Contact local stores not just major high street chains such a Waterstones but also independent book shops – both will love having local authors in.
- Use Amazon : Helen Lindop, author of Start A Family Friendly Business: 129 Brilliant Business Ideas for Mums suggest to “get the best from Amazon, ask people to write reviews of your book, get yourself listed in Author Central”
- Sign up to PLR : “A very good tip I received was to sign up with the Public Lending Right so that not only can libraries get your books on their shelves, but you get royalties too.” Maggie Currie, author of What You Believe Creates Your Reality This is the best advice I had as several years on from publishing I still earn a small commission from PLR.
- Use Social Media : Cheryl Rickman has set up a Facebook page especially for her books and my publisher has organised a lovely cover image for Charlie Moo’s Facebook page. “Develop a comprehensive list of your contacts and ask them to spread the word and invite their friends to connect with you via Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin, etc. If your book is directly related to the industry you work in, targeting your business contacts is especially crucial.” Harriman House
- Journalists : Brightword Publishers suggests “Journalists want news so think of news hooks and angles that you can tie you and your book into (and include a photo if you can) Journalists get hundreds of press releases a day! Make sure yours stands out with a catchy headline and a first paragraph that sums up your book in a nutshell. After that, back up your headline with facts and figures and a great quote. “
- Sample Chapters : “My publishers Wiley/Capstone have created a sample chapter to promote the book on various sites” Cheryl Rickman, author of The Digital Business Start-Up Workbook (PS. when she says sample chapter she actually means work of art! Check it out!! ) Along the same social media lines.
- Think Indie Shops : “Introduce yourself to any local bookshops and ask them to display a sizable pile of books on SOR – big piles of books attract attention as Tim Waterstone discovered. Meet your publishers sales reps and convince them how good your book is and get them on your side.” Jan Dowthwaite-Clark – Natures Sunshine
WOW!! What a list to help market your book. If you don’t already have a book/ebook that needs promoting you had better go and write one!! If you have any other tips to market your book or have had success with any of the above please do comment below.
This post contains affiliate links I may earn a small commission if you purchase via these links.