Facebook personal profiles are exactly that profiles for people. We all know we shouldn’t use them to represent a business – 1) as it’s actually a breach of the T&C’s you sign up to when you join Facebook and 2) they don’t have the capability Business pages/Fanpages/Like pages (delete as appropriate) to reach your target audience.
But we all did it in the beginning or have had a dabble … 4 years ago when I started using Facebook to build my business I had a personal profile called “Charlie Moo’s” I had 300 odd friends – who weren’t my actual friends, I never shared personal information with them just Moo related facts. This profile has been “shut down” or deactivated for 2 years now. I was doing some research for a client on how to “merge” and “migrate” Facebook accounts and thought I’d see if my deactivated account could be resurrected and merged.
Sounds easy right?
Well it wasn’t! So I’m glad I was actually able to have a go otherwise I’d struggle to understand what complications there were.
- My account had been deactivated for so long it would NOT allow a migration from profile to page. I didn’t want to start using the profile again though – I think I had it reactivated for about 1 month before I was able to migrate. During this time I accepted all the friends requests (very important!! This is the whole reason to migrate & merge). As this profile was admin on Charlie Moo’s Business Page/Fanpage I used it as the entry there. So I could continue working and not have to post things on the profile. I also checked all the emails and notifications.
- Migration – this was relatively easy – I followed this link which asked me to create a page as per usual – however the name was already there – Charlie Moo’s. There was a warning that most of the content would be lost and all that you are taking is the contacts and check ins and I had to pop in my password etc … but eventually I was in what looked like your regular fanpage/business page.
- THIS NEXT STEP IS IMPORTANT – go into “edit page” and add your PERSONAL PROFILE email as admin – so in my case Joanne Dewberry. You should see your profile pic pop up as admin.
- LOG OUT
- Log in now as your personal profile – you should notice now yo can use Facebook as 2 pages with the same name. (ie. in my case 2 Charlie Moo’s) – Go to the page that has the MOST number of likes.
- This is the easy bit! Go to edit page, click on resources on the left hand side.
- 2nd down should say “merge pages” – now you have the option to merge the two pages of the same name together. There will be a general warning etc. The merge may not happen straight away – you might find you still have 2 pages, to check that it’s in-process go back in to the resources tab and you will see the MERGE option has disappeared.
It’s a very fiddly and annoying process BUT one that you only have to do ONCE! I gained 127 new likes once the 2 pages had been merged and as these people were actually Charlie Moo’s friends I know they are my target audience.
As usual feedback is welcome and if you are having any difficulties do leave me a comment or drop me an email and I’ll see what I can do.