Can you keep active from your home office? I’ve been using the fitbug orb since January 3rd (with a 3 week blip in February when I lost it!) to track how many steps I take in a day. A target is set both in terms of steps and aerobic steps. I have been struggling on my office days to hit the set targets, to the point where my initial target was 13,600 steps and it’s now 11,600. On an office day (which can mean I sit at my desk from 8:30am – 2:30pm) I can sometimes do as little as 4,000 steps in the day. Over time this inactive behaviour is going to enlarge ones bottom (although according to my family this may already be happening).
Here are 7 top tips for staying active when you work in an office environment.
- When possible walk! – I keep the phone in another room meaning if it rings I have to go to it. I also walk up stairs to go to the bathroom rather than using the toilet outside my office (I know it sound stupid! but usually the simplest things are the most effective!) I also park the car further away on school collection AND if possible we actually go for a walk after school. This not only wears out small people but also gives me a much needed energy boost! My office is under the stairs I need a bit of vitamin D and natural light now and again!
- And then walk some more – When you get the chance to escape the office and go to meetings, events, etc … “always take the stairs and don’t use the lift (if there is one)”(Kara Guppy – ChelseaMamma)
- And maybe try walking – “If there is someone you could walk and talk to in person instead of emailing/IMing, then you can get up from your desk.” (Zoe Corkhill – Mama Geek) Also think about taking phone calls on your feet that way you can move and chat.
- Take regular breaks – set yourself tasks and just GET UP when they are done. Don’t always sit in the office to drink your coffee/tea/smoothie go outside especially now the suns out take 5 to refuel.
- Bounce it out! – “I have a mini fitness trampoline in my office and will have a stroll/jog on that when I’m watching a Youtube video.” (Joanne Mallon – Opposable Thumbs) I love this idea and am so on it!!
- Drink plenty of water – when you sit all day staring at a computer screen, drinking coffee you can suddenly become dehydrated and develop a headache. Keep a bottle of water by your side and drink as much as possible through the day. This will also help with your productivity as if you feel poop you won’t get much done!
- Look at your office layout – don’t have everything within reach. Utilise the space above your desk with shelving which means you have to stand to reach them and is space saving. Place bookcases and filing cabinets in a place where you have to get up and walk to them.
Do you have any top tips for staying active whilst in your office? I’m hoping my fitbug will start showing green and pink circles soon instead of grey!!