When I started Charlie Moo’s my main aim was to make a bit of money and be a full time mum. This is still my main aim and with 2 weeks to go until the summer holidays I’m excited about no routines and spending quality time with the children BUT I also have a small business to run. If you are anything like me you want to spend the summer holidays like this ….
Not like this …..
The trick is time management.
Staying on track is easy with my 5 simple tips :
- Schedule: Scheduling is your friend. Schedule in a few blog posts – write 5 or 6 now and spread them over the holidays so at least something goes live once a week. Schedule updates on social media. Twuffer is useful for scheduling on twitter. Send out tweets linking to old content relevant to the summer holidays. For Facebook use the scheduling system where you write an update (this has better reach than 3rd party apps). Post something at least once a day. With all these things scheduled if you are too busy/tired that you don’t have time to do anything you won’t feel stressed about your reach and if you do have time bonus!
- Email Organisation: At the start of the day spend 5 minutes checking your email. Delete anything that isn’t useful straight away so it doesn’t clog up your inbox. Reply to anything urgent or send a quick “I am working reduced hours at present and will reply to your email on …”, then set time an hour or two in your diary to reply properly, or do the actual work the email requires. NOT however in the evening when you are totally shattered as this is counter productive. Make it a time when your partner is around, your child is at a club or have a working from home day whereby they utilise the facilities you have at home (although in my case this normally erupts into arguments and she said he said!)
- Network: If you do need some small business/blogging stimulation meet up with others in the same position. This way it’s a win win, children get to play and you get that adult conversation. Send out a tweet/Facebook invite, pack a picnic and go get outside! Or contact your local soft play see if you can get some discounted vouchers.
- Be a NO man! and a YES Mum! It’s OK to sometimes say no! Don’t try and take on a project or extra workload when you are working reduced hours. The children won’t thank you for being grumpy, stressed and tired and you won’t enjoy the work. Say Yes to spending time with the children, enjoying days out, walks in the forest and cooking on rubbish BBQ’s.
- Chill Out Man! How often do you get time just to chill? Probably never! It’s the holidays, enjoy them as before you know it you’ll be redundant and no longer cool enough to hang out with! Spend time relaxing and recuperating, give your brain time to rest. 6 weeks goes by a lot faster than you think! You will also feel so much better when you hit September with fire in your belly and a good nights sleep!
Do you have any top tips to stay sane in business during the school holidays? If you are more visually minded you could employ the use of Timeline Templates to help keep projects on track with your clients whilst you are on semi shut down.
Photo Credit : Shutterstock