In October 2017 I turned 37. It came as a little bit of a shock as I still think I’m in my 20’s. I’m not even sure I feel like an appropriate adult the majority of the time but somehow I’ve found myself a parent of 3 children, a small business owner and navigating my way through life with Daddy Moo (who I’ve spent nearly half my life with now!). This paragraph has me aging by the second!
Anyway it got me thinking about doing something just for myself. Sometimes we get so distracted by life and “stuff” that we don’t get chance to do the things we want to do. I’ve also realised this year (2017) that I am absolutely terrible at taking action, I talk the talk but never get anything done! So in true blogger meme fashion I’ve joined the many others who suddenly realise they are about to get really old and made a list of 40 things I’d like to do before I turn 40.
You can follow my journey over the next 3 years as I attempt to eat eels and make a Christmas Album. I’ll update this post as I go along instead of writing a new one. Some points I’ve added explanations some are self explanatory and there are a few points that actually need filling in bear with me though I’ve got 3 years!
The List #40before40 :
- Climb a mountain : We are blessed in the UK to have some of the finest mountains and luscious rolling hills which I fully intend to enjoy one of them (at least). Charlie is most excited about this activity as he can’t wait to join us on our climb. (Fingers crossed he grows out of his walking boots so I can have them and he’s strong enough to aid he’s aging parent up a mountain!)
- Break a Guinness World Record : This was a goal for 2017 but
I ran out of timeneed to take ACTION (my word of the year 2018)! Stop talking start doing! Charlie and I did research a LOT of records in 2017 so we have an idea which we could try and break, like number of pencils snapped in half in 1 minute NOT run multiple marathons over multiple days in various countries!
- Finish Degree : I started an OU degree as part of my previous life as a Day Nursery Manager. I thought having a degree in childcare would be really useful. In 2009 with 2 babies and a fledgling business I decided that I couldn’t keep up the momentum. However back in 2014 I received a letter to say I had a number of years left to complete my degree and I thought although I didn’t need/want a degree in childcare anymore I didn’t really want to have half a degree. I have been completing the remainder with units useful to my business. I really thought I would finish this in 2017 but turns out I can’t add up and I’m rubbish at mathes (why did I choose an accounting unit!) 360 points isn’t far off reach now and if I don’t mess up any of the units I should complete way before I’m 40. *crosses fingers and toes*
- Go to America : Not fussy where …..
- Write a second book : My first book “Crafting a Successful Small Business” was published in 2012! Come on Joanne how hard can this be! I’m so over thinking it, making it completely it a massive deal now as well it’s taken 5 years and I’ve still not produced one!
- Make a Chicken Pie :
- Buy a brand new car :
- See a Puffin :
- Enter the London Marathon :
- Speak at a Large Event :
- See a West End show :
- Donate Blood : I’m such a wimp when it comes to needles so this is pretty much one of my worst nightmares. We’ve all been pretty lucky that we’ve never needed blood before but I saw an article on how lacking the blood banks are and thought well there’s another thing to do before I’m 40! I’ve even taken action and booked a slot already! Yup Wednesday 31st January 2018! I signed up via www.blood.co.uk there are so many pop up venues that you don’t even need to visit your local hospital. #giveblood
- Turn on the Christmas Lights : I’ve always wanted to turn on the Christmas lights you know like they do on the X Factor …. send them back to their home town to turn the lights on to rapturous applause, ample knickers being thrown etc etc ! I emailed a few places in 2017 but sadly it didn’t happen but there is always 2018! (If you are by any chance looking for a Amazon Bestseller, multi award winning, quite nice lady to come and turn on your businesses Christmas lights do get in touch.)
- Paddle Boarding :
- See a Band with Megan :
- Ride in a Hot Air Balloon :
- Shower in a Waterfall :
- Ride a Horse :
- Sing at an Open Mic Night :
- Go to Iceland : I think most people have the northern lights and swimming in a hot lagoon surrounded by snow on their bucket list.
- Volunteer Work : I’m positive over the next 3 years I can spare a couple of hours and do something. If it involves fresh air too that would be a bonus.
- Afternoon Tea at The Ritz :
- Eat an Eel :
- Have an article published in a magazine : From 2013 until it’s demise I was an expert for Craftseller Magazine and appeared in most issues.
- Purchase 5 things I’ve never bought before : Screws, kumquat, ***, *** and ***, yes crazy as it seems I’ve never bought these items before! This should be one of the easiest things to cross off my list!
- Have a YouTube Video Go Viral : Which would actually require me to create some video content in order for it to, you know go viral! So I’d hang back until 2020 for this one. In the meantime check out my channel here : YouTube Joanne Dewberry
- Hit 10,000 followers on ONE of my social media platforms : Don’t really mind which in case you can help here are my links : * Instagram CharlieMoos * Facebook JoanneDewberry.co.uk * Pinterest CharlieMoos *
- Make a Christmas Album : Every Christmas, a whole host of celebs release an album of either old covers or Christmas songs *cough* Alexander Armstrong *cough*. Daddy Moo and I always have a little chuckle and brand them sell outs (sorry!) or maybe they are super shrewd on the whole passive income angle. Who knows BUT anyway I’m going to give it ago! I might include the children who knows! I would like to donate a percentage of the profits (if anyone buys one!) to charity too.
- Win a Small Business or Blog Award : This might seem like an odd one as during my time in business I’ve won multiple awards but it’s actually been a few years. So I’d like to win one before I start to feel like I’m all washed up! VOTE NOW!! Great news I’ve been shortlisted for the Working Parent Bloggers Award 2018 Mums and Working Awards. Voting is now open soon and I’d love a helping hand! Thank you VOTE HERE : www.mumandworking.co.uk/awards/vote
- Write a third book : Hey I’ve written 2 now (see number 5 #40before40 hopefully!) I might as well add another to the list!
- Twitter Blue Tick : I’ve tried a few times and been unsuccessful but I’ve been trying to up my game and I’ve 3 years to well you know keep trying until they give in and give me one! You can follow me here : Twitter.com/CharlieMoos
- Learn a new skill : Not sure what maybe drive a forklift truck. Who knows the possibilities are endless.
- Get a new Tattoo : I’ve wanted one for years but keep putting it off because
I need to lose weightI’m a scaredy cat!
- Got to see World Strongest Man : This is my guilty pleasure. I absolutely adore WSM. I watch it every Christmas/New Year for as long as I can remember. I’d love to go see the Giants live.
- Go on a Barista Course : We drink a lot of coffee, too much really! So it would be nice to learn how to make coffee properly or even do a latte milk course and make lush looking cups!
- Do Something for Charity : I organised a head shot session with DK Capture for my networking group Lemur Linkup, which was obviously hilarious! We raised £50 for Julia’s House Children’s Hospice. (15th January 2018)
- Wikipedia Page : I’d love to have my own Wikipedia Page! Imagine that when someone searches my name! Having a Wikipedia page would make me a big deal 😉 I’m not sure of the ins and outs of this one so this might be a 2020 thing too!
- I will add real things here when I decide ????
- Am I 40 yet ????
- Have a big 40th birthday party!
This post contains affiliate links helping me to fund 3 years of madness!