Some may argue that life insurance is only necessary for those with dependents or significant financial obligations. However, the reality is that life insurance can be beneficial for a wide range of people.
Whether you are a young professional, a married couple with children, or a retiree, you should determine the need for life insurance.
Who needs life insurance?
Life insurance is a financial tool that provides financial protection for a person’s loved ones in the event of their death. While life insurance can be beneficial for anyone, there are certain types of people who may need it most.
- Breadwinners: The main earners of a household who have dependents, such as a spouse or children. This is because their death could leave their loved ones without a source of income to meet financial obligations. Having cover in place can ensure your loved ones are financially secure after you’re gone. That way, they won’t have to worry about any outstanding debts left in your absence.
- Parents: Parents, especially those with young children, may need to ensure that their children’s needs, such as education expenses, are protected. As such, it can provide a financial safety net for the children’s future. For those looking for long-term cover, whole life insurance may be the best option. It provides lifelong cover, paying out regardless of when you die. During this time, the cost of your monthly premiums is also fixed. Another alternative is term life insurance. This covers you for a set period of time – usually 10-30 years. During this time, you will only have to pay the fixed premium amount. However, once the policy expires, you may no longer be eligible for cover.
- Homeowners: Homeowners may have mortgage or other debts tied to their property. Life insurance can help cover these debts and prevent the burden from falling on surviving family members who may not have the means to continue making payments. One type of cover that is ideal is mortgage life insurance (often known as decreasing term life insurance). With this type of cover, the policyholder pays a fixed premium for a set amount of cover that decreases over time. So if you die before the mortgage is paid, the family can use the money paid out from the policy.
- Business owners: Business owners may need life insurance to protect their business and provide funds for succession planning. Life insurance can help ensure that the business can continue operating smoothly and provide financial security for employees and partners.
- Married couples or long-term partners: Many married couples and long-term partners rely on two incomes to meet their financial obligations. So if one partner passes away, the surviving partner could be left with reduced income and increased expenses. One type of policy that is ideal for couples is joint life insurance. This can provide two-person cover with one premium and a single payout on the death of either partner. This can reduce costs and help ensure that both partners are properly covered.
How much cover will I need?
Determining the amount of cover needed will vary based on individual circumstances. Considerations should include current debts, income replacement needs, and expected future expenses. For example, if you’re the main breadwinner in the family, you will want to make sure that there is enough to cover the cost of living for your dependents.
Additionally, you should review the policy regularly, as your needs may change over time.
How much will my premiums be?
When it comes to deciding how much cover you need, the next step is understanding how much your premiums will be. Your premium will depend on a variety of factors, such as:
- Age – premiums are typically lower for younger people as they are viewed as less likely to make a claim.
- Health – those with pre-existing medical conditions may have higher rates than those who are considered healthy.
- Type of policy – different types of policies can have different premium rates. For example, whole life insurance typically has higher premiums than term life insurance.
- Amount of cover – the more cover you take out, the higher the monthly premiums.
- Lifestyle choices – certain lifestyle choices can increase your risk of death and thus raise your premiums.
For those looking for affordable life insurance, it is important to shop around and compare different policies. Researching the policy that is best suited to your needs can help you get an appropriate policy for a good price.
Nowadays, it is easy to get life cover, as the process can be done entirely online. This saves time and makes it easier to find a policy that is right for you. Head online to get covered for peace of mind.
This post complies with my Disclosure PolicyFound this useful wondering how you can show me your appreciation? Well, there are some ways you can say thanks and support my website: ➡