5 ways to maximise your Business Card

A few years ago I had my business cards redesigned to have Charlie Moo’s on the front and JoanneDewberry.co.uk on the back. This way I only needed one set of cards (frugal) and no space was wasted, so many people don’t utilise the back of their cards!  Earlier in the year Daddy Moo and I were invited to try out the facilities in a castle! At Walton Castle we met Roy Sheppard and as a business card he gave us both a little book. Meet Greet & Prosper: Turn more strangers into real friends and valuable business contacts is a really useful book, not only is it a handy size but it’s jam packed full of networking nuggets. The booklet looks at everything from what to take to networking events, how to remember peoples name to the importance of business cards.

Top Tips for Business Card design and usage :-

1. Be concise : Think about the key points you want to put on your business card. Name, website, email address  and phone number. Do you really want a written link to every social media platform or will one main one do? If so why not put these on the back instead of overloading the front.
  2. Think quality : Get them printed by professional printers.  Remember this is the first time someone is likely to meet you and your business make sure your business card sparkles and shouts quality.  Nice glossy, thick, laminated business cards will shout quality and people will think that of you too.
  3. Be unique : Don’t automatically assume business cards should be landscape – why not stand out from the crowd and have a portrait one? (Michelle from Colourwheel Creative)
  4. Eye contact : When passing out business cards always make eye contact with the person you are handing them to. Be confident, say something memorable about your business too for a long time I’d hang my head hand one over and mumble “I make party bags“. Hardly a glowing reference for my small business!
  5. Be prepared : I’m always telling people to carry them everywhere and rarely do myself! Prime example Kara and I were out at Avon Country Park somewhere we go regularly and I’ve blogged about a lot! on this occasion we met the manager and chatted about the park, facilities and our blogs! How cross with myself am I that I was unable to hand him a card so he could have looked me up later!

Do you have any top tips for using business cards as a form of memorable marketing?

business cards

Photo Credit | Shutterstock

This post is a collaboration and complies with my Disclosure Policy

Contains an affiliate link

Photo Credit | Shutterstock

18 Comments

1. August 30, 2015 / 6:03 pm

That sounds like a great book. I definitely need help remembering names, I’m hopeless at it!
    Lucy Dorrington recently posted..My Sunday SnapMy Profile

2. August 30, 2015 / 7:51 pm

I tend to keep a couple of business cards in my purse so I always have one then only bring out the big wad at networking events!! Great tips:-)
    JuggleMum, Nadine Hill recently posted..A Weekend With My BoyMy Profile

3. August 31, 2015 / 5:48 am

Great tips. I have some really thick card business cards that always get a comment. I do carry a few round with me as they have been useful.
    Erica Price recently posted..Summer Fun at Baddesley ClintonMy Profile

4. August 31, 2015 / 9:01 am

I need some new business cards as my current ones have my old header. You are right, should carry them everywhere just in case
    Kara recently posted..The First Day of SchoolMy Profile

• September 22, 2015 / 12:21 pm

You would be surprised! Never to early to have some business cards at hand!

5. August 31, 2015 / 8:25 pm

Great tips lovely. I tend to always have cards on me although I do have some for the business and some for the blog. You’ve reminded me I need to get some more business ones printed! I always love the quality of Moo, flimsy business cards are such a no no!
    Charly Dove recently posted..Beach huts and a mermaid in West WitteringMy Profile

6. February 4, 2016 / 5:15 pm

Great post. I was just wondering, what type of information would you include in the contact information? I have read that QR Codes are a great way to help people find your blog/website. What are your thoughts?

7. June 6, 2016 / 10:48 am

I never thought before that one can maximize their business cards via such simple ways….

Business cards have become a big necessity, these days.

One can easily leave its mark in the business world of its products and services.

Thanks for sharing this educative post with us.

8. December 30, 2016 / 7:15 am

Wow! What an awesome list! I love the circular cards.. I’m thinking I need to revamp my cards. Thanks for the ideas!