After stuffing my face for the majority of December I’m in need of a vat of water. However my mind is willing I just don’t ever seem to drink enough water. I can’t be the only person who struggles to drink the recommended 6-8 glasses a day. Seriously how hard can it be! Being properly hydrated is really important.
Why should we drink plenty of water? :
- Reduces fatigue : Every get so far through the day and feel like you need a sugar hit? More than likely you’re dehydrated. Drinking plenty of water helps your body to function better, reduces fatigue and gives you more energy.
- Improves your mood : Dehydration is known to cause irritability. (Well that answers a lot!)
- Sleep better : Well if this isn’t a great incentive to drink more than I don’t know what is. After 5 years of sleep deprivation I am loving every full night sleep, but I do wake from time to time groggy.
- Think clearer : Hydrated brain stops you feeling fatigued which increases productivity. Increased productivity = nailing your goals!
6 ways to increase your water consumption :
- First drink of the day : I don’t know about you but I don’t function until I’ve had my first coffee of the day. But why not grab a glass of water first, you can even drink it whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.
- Use the kettle as your guide : We’ve kind of established I spend way to much time in front of the kettle so I may as well use it to my advantage. I leave a glass by the kettle so every time I go to make a tea or coffee (which I consume way too much of) I remember to have a drink of water instead (sometimes). Illana Smith Hari Hari Curry. Or drink the water whilst the kettle is boiling suggests Michelle Betts By Jove Media.
- Use technology : I use Water Drink Reminder app which reminds me to drink water and helps me log how much I’ve drunk. Claire Relin – Neals Yard Remedies Organic Independent Consultant. Isn’t technology wonderful.
- Invest in some bottles : I always fill 2 1 litre bottles at once and just drink till they’re gone then refill. I also flavour with lemon. Emma Newbould Ems Life in Motion. I love lime and cucumber in my water too, you could use a water bottle with fruit infuser or just add fruit to your regular bottle/glass.
- Visual reminders : Did you know you can even purchase time labelled bottles with key times through the day to remind you? Me neither, you could always save yourself a penny or two though and write the times on a bottle yourself using a sharpie. Or set yourself specific time scales to drink bottles of water by. Jo Spargo Peachiboohas a great tip, I have a 500ml bottle and aim to drink one before 9, one before 11, one before 1, one before 4 and one before 7. It somehow makes it feel more manageable. It’s my aim based on advice from my PT – I don’t always get there. Amazing what a difference you feel when you are properly hydrated though!
- One cup at a time : Ever notice how easy it is to down a cup of coffee yet a pint of water takes a week or so. Do it buy the cup. I either get my self 2-3 cups at a time. If you like herbal tea even better. I usually make 3 in a morning and drink them cold throughout the day (just down a cup). Helps me to take on more fluids. Mint tea is perfectly pleasing cold. Kate Rushall Bridal Reloved
So what are you waiting for there is seriously no reason we shouldn’t be drinking far more water especially if you sit at a computer all day like me. Hey! I’ve even managed a pint whilst writing this post. #inspired
Please do share any other top tips for drinking water in the comments below.
Contains affiliate links.