If you have done even the tinest amount of research on how to rank your website in the top positions on Google, then you will have come across “domain authority” and how important it is for SEO (search engine optimistaion). But just what is domain authority, and how can you easily increase it yourself for your website or blog?
What is Domain Authority?:
Domain Authority or DA is a search engine ranking score, from one to 100, the higher your score the greater your sites’ ability to rank in searches.
Domain Authority is calculated by evaluating multiple factors, such as linking root domains and the number of total links, into one single DA score which can then be used to compare websites, which if you are a blogger will be really important in how you fair against other blogs.
Starting or creating your own blog is actually the easiest part! There are many things I wish I had known before starting a blog. All the logistics afterwards like SEO, promoting and marketing now that’s the hard bit! In 2017 my Domain Authority was 45 and I was feeling pretty smug, however gradually over 6 months it dropped to 30 and didn’t seem to be stopping. I just couldn’t work out why this was happening. Thankfully it seems to have been a Yoast plugin bug which was rectified whilst I don’t understand the technicalities of it at all I do know a few handy tips to help increase Domain Authority and ultimately improve your website’s organic traffic.
Top Tips For Improving Your Domain Authority Score
Search Engine Optimisation Basic SEO
Blog content 500 words min
Meta description 155 characters long keywords at the start
Keywords in URL and title (good structure no dates or random numbers)
Inbound and outbound links
alt image tags, image names, and compressed (use Tinyjpeg to reduce file size and help keep your website load speed high). Choose a descriptive file name for example an image of a sunrise in Corfu would be labeled “corfu-sunrise.jpg”, not “img_1234.jpg”. Ensure you upload images with keyword rich titles and alt tags.
Headers using keywords
Content Is King
- Evergreen Content: This is content that doesn’t date and is always popular for me every school holiday I re-share my posts on running a business around children.
- Topical Content: Content that reflects what is happening at the moment – World Cup, Heatwave, specific days you have identified in your content calendar (International Day of Happiness 20th March, National Freelancers Day 28th June)
- Update Old Posts: Things change (like social media!) make sure you update content when this does, also remove competition factors in posts over a year old and ensure the post is still relevant to anyone happening upon it. If like me you started off using stock images and now have some of your own you might want to update these and streamline your branding.
Further Reading: 9 Content Ideas To Get You Blogging
If you are one of these people who can’t stick to a name and is constantly rebranding this can affect your Domain Authority. Websites that have had the same domain name for a long time are rewarded.
How Links Can Improve Your Domain Authority
As Domain Authority takes into consideration your total number of links and linking root domains it’s vital to keep them updated. You should, however, check for broken links regularly as this affects SEO also Google penalises dead links. Make it part of your monthly routine as this way you reduce the overwhelm of 100’s of broken links. Broken links can occur for many reasons, you might have linked to a business or product that no longer exists, or sometimes comments contain broken links. If you are using WordPress then use a plugin, if not Free Broken Link Checker website is easy to use or pay someone to do all the hard work for you!
The more backlinks to your website the better your Domain Authority however easier said than done! Back in the old days many websites and blogs had a link page or blogroll but this practice has diminished some, but it’s worth checking out sites for free listings.
- Guest blog posts, write a post with a specific website in mind and send it to them, and craft yourself a good author bio with a link to your site.
- Look out for content round-ups, many bloggers will write round-ups and be looking for content check out Content and Round Up Requests for UK Bloggers or Britmums. Also, check out #journorequest on Twitter for opportunities.
- Comment on other blogs especially those that allow you to add your website or link back to your latest content. (List of Commentluv Blogs)
- Sharing content on social media helps develop backlinks too.
- Boo Roo and Tigger Too, “always know your audience“, linking to content that is relevant to the blog post but also your audience.
- Parent Blogging Secrets suggests “Sign up to Quora and answer questions in your niche with a post of yours explaining further.”
Link back to your own content too. This is a really good habit to get into making references and drawing readers’ attention to other posts you have written, keeping them on your site for longer.
*LINK TIP *
Ensure all external links (even those to your own content) open in a new window this reduces the chance readers will open up a new site and forget to come back to finish reading/engaging with your content.
Keep an eye on how long it takes to load your website, load time is a contributing factor in calculating Domain Authority. Avoid using images straight from your phone or camera, always run them through a programme like Tinyjpeg to reduce the file size without compromising the clarity of the images. This will help with load time and make your site run faster.
How To Check Your Domain Authority
I like to make my blog posts actionable and I hope you think this one is. All these little things make a big difference plus if you make changes use Google Console to tell Google and track your SERP.
Start by finding out your current DA using MOZ then start working your way through my suggestions above. After 3 months check your DA again and hopefully, you will start to see a gradual increase. Leave a comment below and let me know how you get on.
This post complies with my Disclosure PolicyFound this useful wondering how you can show me your appreciation? Well, there are some ways you can say thanks and support my website: ➡